Our Heritage

According to the oldest records available, Hebron Baptist Church was established on July 2, 1842. Services were held for a short time under a brush arbor on the Davenport property, later known as the Loveless estate. At the organization of church, John Hendrix and William Richardson constituted the presbytery.

At the Eighth Session of the Appalachee Baptist Association held at Bethel Baptist Church in Walton County, Georgia on Saturday, September 17, 1842, Hebron Church was received by letter and delegates as a constituent member of that body. It was voted that Hebron be added to the First District of the Association. Hebron reported two baptized and a membership of ten.

In 1844, Hebron asked to be dismissed from the Appalachee Baptist Association so they could unite with the Mulberry Baptist Association.

In 1844, the present property was obtained and a new white frame building was constructed.

In 1911, Hebron membership was 171 with a Sunday school enrollment of 65. The church building was valued at $1,000.

On November 2, 1930, money received from the sale of the first bale of cotton from the church cotton crop amounted to $44 and was credited to the Young Peoples Sunday school class to be saved as a building fund for a new church.

Rev. J.O. McNeal was called as the first full-time pastor of Hebron Baptist Church in October 1957. Prior to that time, services were held only twice each month. Sunday school rooms, a fellowship hall and a kitchen were added in 1959.

In 1969, the church voted to build a new auditorium at a cost of approximately $65,000-$70,000. The previous auditorium was dedicated on May 2, 1971. At that time, the average Sunday school attendance was 74 and the resident membership was 286.

In August 1978, the church called Rev. Larry Wynn as pastor. Since the beginning of Rev. Wynn’s ministry the church has grown from a fellowship of 342 to over 11,000 members. In August of 1978, the average weekly Sunday school attendance was 116. Today the average weekly attendance is 4758.

In 1980, a 35×70 foot Sunday school annex, fellowship hall and kitchen were added to the previous building. This addition was paid off on September 16, 1985.

Two morning worship services were begun in September 1983. From 1985 until 1989, there were three morning worship services and two Sunday evening services.

In 1984, the church purchased 5-1/2 acres of land to build a new auditorium. It was decided that a new educational building should be built first.

In 1989, an 1100 seat auditorium was completed. After only six months, two morning worship services were necessary. Beginning in 1992, a 2.4 million dollar educational building with a gymnasium, commercial kitchen and preschool department was begun.

In 1995, the auditorium was enlarged with additional seating for 600.

In June 1998, a new children’s educational building was completed and Larry and Ethel celebrated their 20th anniversary at Hebron.

In 1998, the church purchased Northeast Atlanta Christian School and changed the name to Hebron Christian Academy. Also that same year, the church purchased 173 acres of land for future expansion. A fully graded recreation softball/baseball complex was begun.

A 24-hour, 7-day-a-week prayer ministry was begun in 2000. The church purchased an additional 100 acres of land and began construction of an additional 600 space parking lot.

In March 2006, the church held its first worship service in its new 4000 seat Worship Center.

Throughout the years, God has continued to pour out His wonderful blessings on Hebron Church. We look, with great anticipation, for even greater things He has in store for Hebron Church.

Jerri Amelia Stanley